Friday, July 30, 2010

Lake District - May 2010 - 4 days

We left London Friday morning at some nutty hour and met up with Roz and Josh to drive north to the Lake District. On the way we stopped at Goldthorpe, a town in central England (near Nottingham). Being my namesake town I had always wanted to visit and was pleased I had the chance on the way up. Bit of a dinky wee town really, not much there at all but it was cool to see my name everywhere!

We spent 3 nights in the Lake District, easily the most beautiful place in England. It was stunning. Our campsite was right next to a river surrounded by hills, it was stunning. Lots of campfires, roasted marshmellows and ... a hobnob biscuit?! Yes Josh seemed to like to try anything roasted over the fire :) We did drive around the district to check out the lakes and Keswick (the nearest town) and they were so beautiful.

After saying goodbye to Roz and Josh who headed back to London we drove on up to Hadrians wall, the old Roman wall that was erected as a separation between England and the raiding Scots in the north. We only had about an hour walking along one very small part of it, I would love to walk the entire thing one day but we didn't have that much time.

Spent the first night in the car that night. Was a bit more cramped then I had expected so it was an interesting nights sleep but I've slowly gotten more and more used to it and I can sleep really well in there now. It's quite cosy.

No comments: